This experience got me thinking about the "grass is always greener" principle. It is when, no matter our situation, something else looks better. Maybe you have been working to get a really good job and once you get it you see another job that looks better. Maybe you find a great apartment but after you move in you find something that looks better. Maybe it is something as simple as going to a movie and then wishing you went bowling instead. These are all examples of the "grass is always greener" principle.
One lesson I learned as I thought about this experience this week is to enjoy yourself. Lift where you stand. Be happy on your side of the fence. There will always be other options that present themselves. We can't do everything and we can't be everywhere but we can choose to be happy with the current situation we are in. If we spend our whole life looking on the other side of the fence and wishing we were there we will miss a lot of great opportunities that are happening right under our noses.
Even though the cows pushed and pushed to get through the fence, once they got to the other side they started looking for the next great thing. If we are constantly looking ahead and wishing we were somewhere else we are going to miss a lot of life. I think we need to slow down and enjoy where we are at in life or we will miss out on a lot. I think we need to stop second guessing ourselves when we make decisions and go forth with vigor when we make a decision. I think we need to enjoy the moment and pay attention to the little things. Only then will we realize that the grass is NOT always greener on the other side, and that we are standing in a field full of endless possibilities.
Thank you for the great article! This is definitely a very true principle! Sometimes it is proper to search for the greener pasture, but most of the time Heavenly Father wants us exactly where we are at for a reason. I once heard a twist on a similar story where outside the fenced pasture was dangerous grass. Even if the pasture is greener on the other side, Heavenly Father could be protecting us from something harmful. Thank you for the great reminder!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post! I have struggle with this especially in the past few months. My older brother is graduating with his masters and my brother in law is done with medical school. I look at them and they don't have to do any more homework and they can have an actual job while I'm stuck with homework and a dead end student job. But this helps me to realize that I'm going to be happy going to school then I'll be happy with that first job. Its a great reminder to be happy now.
ReplyDeleteThat is a great story. I bet those cows really add to your life. It is a great thing to at least realize early on that the grass is not always greener. Until we can learn to be happy with what we have we will always be searching for something else. Good luck!
ReplyDelete