Presenting can be scary. Did you know that most people are more afraid of public speaking than of death? Why do you think that is? I think it is because it puts us in a place of vulnerability in front of our peers and opens us up different ways to be judged. It makes sense to be scared, but if you can confront and overcome those fears public speaking can be a huge confidence booster and give you a chance to make a difference in someone else's life.
Every near the National FFA Organization hosts a National FFA Convention. This year it was held in Louisville, Kentucky at the beginning of November. During the convention FFA members from all across the country come to hear speakers, learn more about what FFA has to offer, make friends, and receive awards. The speakers from this years conference included Nick Vujicic, Jeff Simmons, Donnie Smith, and various others. Not only were there great adult speakers, the national FFA officer team also gave their retiring addresses.
As I watched the sessions online and listened to the national officers speak I was overwhelmed at the caliber of people they were. These six young men showed knowledge and abilities far beyond their age of 20 and 21. Their speeches were life changing and very moving. Below is the retiring address from the 2013-2014 National FFA President Brian Walsh. If you have a minute I highly suggest watching his speech. This is the kind of speaker I hope to be. I want to make a difference in the lives of others and just as with anything, practice makes perfect. But taking that first step is what is most important.
Wow, he really is a good speaker, from the part that I watched. Being able to be a good speaker is also something I truly want to become. Being able to influence people for the better is one of the most useful skills I think. So that is cool that that is your goal. It can be scary, but practice over and over and you will get there.
ReplyDelete