Saturday, December 6, 2014

I Love Wa Wa

This past weekend I had the great opportunity to be a leader at a FFA leadership conference. FFA members from all over the state came to learn more about themselves and how they could be a better leader. The keynote speaker was Kent Julian. He was great! His teaching style was about letting people learn by figuring things out themselves, and not just lecturing or teaching. For his keynote address he shared a story about a young man that he taught in a swimming class. This young man was four years old and all he would say was his name, that he was four year old, and that he hated wa wa. For two months this child was in his swimming classes and he wouldn't get in the water. He hated wa wa and was very clear about letting Kent know. Until one day he finally jumped in the pool. Then he shouted that he loved wa wa and from there he became a great competitive swimmer.

The moral I like to take from this story is that sometimes we get in our own way. Each one of us is full of unlimited potential and the only thing holding us back from reaching that potential is ourselves. When we are finally able to step out of our comfort zones and rise above ourselves we can do amazing things. And, like Kent says, we can say "I love wa wa!"

No comments:

Post a Comment